The Gallery of modern art, situated on the second floor of the Pitti Palace, was inaugurated in 1924 and consists of 30 large halls which constitute the exhibitive path. The gallery houses paintings and sculptures, mostly Italians, from late 18th century to the first decades of the 19th century and the collection is still growing nowadays, thanks to donations and purchases. The sumptuous rooms, which were the residence of the Grand Dukes of Lorena, host works from Neoclassicism to Romanticism, and an extraordinary series of Macchiaioli’s paintings, mostly coming from Diego Martelli’s collections. Moreover, the Gallery also features an important collection of historic paintings and famous landscapes of the Maremma by Giovanni Fattori, head of the Macchiaioli’s school. The 19th century path ends with expressions of the decadent movement, symbolism, post-impressionism and Divisionism. Among the various artists, there are F. Hayez, S. Lega, T. Signorini, G. Fattori, C. Pissarro, M. Rosso, G. Boldini, A. Magnelli.