Firenzecard Official Site
 
 


Museum
Villa Medicea di Poggio a Caiano
Villa Medicea di Poggio a Caiano


The villa was commissioned by Lorenzo the Magnificent, and it was built to a plan by Giuliano da Sangallo, in a beautiful location. High on a porch, open on all sides to the garden and the surrounding landscape, it reflects the humanistic trends inspired by the ancient architecture. Its construction, which started around 1485, was interrupted on the death of Lorenzo in 1492. The work was completed in the second half of the sixteenth century to the wishes of Pope Leo X, son of Lorenzo. The salon is beautifully decorated with allegorical frescoes, celebrating the Medici family, painted by Andrea del Sarto, Pontormo, Franciabigio, Alessandro Allori. The second floor of the villa is home to the Museum of Still Life: the 200 and odd paintings on display are from the Medicis’ collections.
 
 
 
Timetable

Open From 08:15 To 16:30